Friday, June 20, 2008

Mario Kart Wii

Over the past two weeks, Ina and I have spent on average 30-45 minutes every day playing Mario Kart Wii. We usually play in Versus mode so that there are 12 racers - me, Ina and 10 computer controller characters. We've also tried playing online, which I'll get to later.

I think what bugs me the most about the Wii but also what makes it so attractive to non-gamers, is that Wii games put everyone on even ground. Even after years of experience playing Mario Kart 64 (N64) and Mario Kart: Double Dash (Game Cube), Ina can beat me in Mario Kart Wii. It frustrates me to no end, and I often find myself angry, mostly at myself for not being able to beat her -- although I often take it out on her.

I'm the gamer, therefore I'm *supposed* to win. It's an expectation -- a matter of principle. So when I try to win and I don't, I get pissed off pretty easily. I find it actually a little comical how worked up I can get over a silly game like this. I have to keep reminding myself that this game is designed for non-gamers. And yet often I'll look at the map and notice how far ahead Ina is that there is no way to catch up, and I will get extremely pissed off and jealous instead of just feeling lucky that my wife is playing video games with me.

And I guess at the end of the day, that's really what I should be grateful for.